Define mentoring and networking and how nurses can benefit from both
Mentoring and Mentorship
On page 128 and 129 of your textbook, the author discusses mentoring and networking. For this Discussion Forum (DF) assignment you will research and provide answers to the forum with an initial post and a response post to the forum.
Answer the following items in your initial DF post:
1) Define mentoring and networking and how nurses can benefit from both.
2) Give an example of a mentor you had experience with and why they were considered a mentor to you.
You may use first person for this post.
The purpose of mentoring is to connect an individual who has a lot of knowledge and experience with someone who hasn’t gained the same knowledge or experience.
By having someone who knows more than yourself share advice, offer guidance and be a sounding board for your thoughts you stand to benefit from experience beyond your own. Whether in your career or life, having a mentor is crucial to all of our continued growth and development.
A mentor is someone who helps you grow your skills, make better decisions, and gain new perspectives on your life and career. As a mentee, your mentor will leverage their experience to give you guidance on your career or life now and in the future.
Rather than learning through trial and error, a mentor is a person you can look to for direction and a role model to imitate.
The term mentor comes from the character, Mentor in Homer’s Odyssey. This character was the companion of Telemachus, Odysseus’ son and gave him guidance and advice while he was away from his home and family.
Going back to antiquity the purpose of a mentor is to take all the experience that they’ve accumulated throughout their career and life and transfer it to their mentee for their benefit.
Do not write in a question and answer format. The Initial Post must be 300 words or less, your reference list does not count in the word count.
1) APA formatting applies and includes the following for your Initial Post:
A) In-text citations
B) Reference list
2) Do not use a title page in any discussion forums.
3) Use 2 peer-reviewed articles from the library.
4) References must be recent which is less than five years old, and from the United States- your textbook is not a journal.
5) Reference list and in text citations must be in APA format.